Return to New Jersey
After almost three years living abroad we are back to New York/New Jersey area.
It is so strange to return as a guest. We settled at our son’s apartment in North Jersey with the easy commute to NYC.
The first impression:
- Everything is so clean!
- Everything is so expensive (why do I need to pay $6 for the card/trolley at the airport while everywhere they are free?)
- Fruits and vegetables are tasteless, even organic from the Whole Foods
- Food/produce is stuffed with chemicals
- Cell (mobile) phones – we are paying $45 per phone/per month vs. ~$12 per phone/per month abroad for the same service. AT&T socks – get T-Mobile
- Pharmacy – I can buy generic antibiotics abroad for 50 cents. Here I was told to visit doctor, get prescription, and come back…. no comments
- Famous American service is not so great as we remember. Asia is winning…
- Oh my…I am doing laundry and cleaning myself, the first time in the three years
After recovering from the jet lag and adjusting to the temperature change, the fun part has begun.
We visit old friends, enjoying the parks along the Hudson River (from NJ and NYC sides),
petting our cat for hours,
walk in NYC’s Downtown,
Not bad for the first three weeks!